The Parish Council
Peter O'Kill has very kindly
made available articles that he has recently written on the history of Sunningdale,
and of Sunningdale
Village Hall. John End has given permission to show
selected pictures of
Sunningdale as it was and Peter has provided some present day versions. Peter
also contributed towards the history
of Sunningdale Allotments which was written by Brian King.
Sunningdale Bowling Club
has produced a booklet (which resides on the Club's website) to celebrate
its centenary in 2013. It was researched and written by Bob and Betty
Montgomery, Peter O'Kill and Hugh Devonald, and designed and produced
by Mike Thompson.
In addition, mention is made
of "A Short History of Sunningdale" by F.C. Hodder,
originally written in 1936, which has been re-published in hardback by
his granddaughter Bridget Wade.
||From the Romans to The
Beatles: A Brief History of Sunningdale was penned by Peter
O'Kill for inclusion in the Official Sunningdale Guide 2010. It is
and Now pictures of Sunningdale have kindly been made
available by John End (the old photos) and Peter O'Kill (the present
Village Hall recently celebrated its centenary; it was first used on
November 23rd, 1909 by the Debating Society. Peter O'Kill wrote this History of the
Village Hall which was published and circulated widely as
part of the celebrations.
Short History of Sunningdale". This much sought
after book, written by former village Postmaster F.C. Hodder in 1936,
has been re-published by his granddaughter Bridget Wade. The new
version has a little-known painting of
in the 1860s on the front cover, an
additional foreword by Mrs Wade, and an extra picture of the author’s
family in the early 1900s. Otherwise it is exactly as F.C. Hodder
published it. The 150 page hardback book can be obtained for £12 from
Mrs Wade at 0774 9659401 or email
Allotment Movement slowly began to gather momentum from the 1830s
onwards. Members of the nobility and the clergy were early providers of
plots. As described in Brian King's History of Sunningdale Allotments,
the Rev. Raffles Flint, vicar of Holy Trinity, was responsible for the
setting up of the current site in the late 1870s.
brief use of an area off Halfpenny Lane in 1912, Sunningdale Bowls Club
changed its name to Sunningdale Bowling Club in 1913 and settled into a
home on land which formed the Old Vicarage Garden, off Church
Road. It eventually moved to its present home in Whitmore Lane in 1921
where many improvements have been made over the years. This booklet has been written to
celebrate the Bowling Club's centenary in 2013.
We are interested in adding
further articles and pictures to this section of the website. Please contact us to discuss any
ideas that you have.